Let’s get started!
STEP # 1: In Your DNS provider
- Log into your domain's provider settings
- Access your domain list and select the one you wish to use in Bucket.io
- Go to your Domain Name Server (DNS) settings
- Add a CNAME record pointing to "domains.bucket.io"
- If the DNS provider is asking for a "Host" name you can use "quiz" or any other word you'd like to use to build the subdomain. For instance, say we have the domain getbucket.com, when setting up the CNAME we used "test2" as the host so it will result in test2.getbucket.com. in other words, the Host or Hostname is something you will come up with
- Allow changes to populate. The TTL (Time To Live) indicates how long it takes to complete the task. If attempting to register a domain in bucket.io before the TTL is completed, would result in a failed verification.
STEP # 2: In bucket.io
Once logged into bucket.io, click the account profile located at the top-right corner - usually this is the user’s initials.
- By clicking under account name or profile, it deploys a drop-down menu, click My Account
- Click Custom Domains
- Click the Add custom domain green button
- A configuration guideline will pop-up with instructions from Step #1 in this article, if you’ve completed them just click the Continue button (orange) at the bottom-right corner of the pop-up
- It will open a new pop-up with a field where you should insert the domain name. Please make sure you don’t include https:// as it’s not necessary
- Click the Create & Verify Domain button (green) and it will automatically display a confirmation message at the top of the screen
- Finally, your domain status should display as “Verifying” - meaning that it went through successfully. The verification process could take up to 5 minutes and after that the status changes to “Verified”.
If the custom domain verification fails, it could be for one of the following reasons:
- Your Custom Domain couldn’t be verified because more than one CNAME or A record was found. To continue, please log into your Domain registrar’s DNS Settings and make sure only the required CNAME is active.
- Custom Domain already in use: The domain name you provided is already associated with an existing bucket.io account. If you own this domain name and believe this is an error, please contact us at email@example.com.
Your Custom Domain couldn’t be verified due to no CNAME record found. To continue, please log into your Domain registrar’s DNS Settings and add a CNAME record as instructed in Step #1.
Your Custom Domain couldn’t be verified due to the CNAME record not being configured with the Bucket.io address. To continue, please log into your Domain registrar’s DNS Settings and configure your CNAME correctly as instructed in step #1.
Your Custom Domain couldn’t be verified because we were not able to resolve your domain. To continue, please check for possible problems or limitations with your DNS provider.